Federal Regulations

Tax Registration

You will need an EIN, which can be obtained through the IRS by filling out Form SS-4. Experts recommend that you secure an EIN even if you are a sole proprietor who does not intend to hire employees. Using an EIN will help protect the privacy of your Social Security number as well as help separate your business life from your personal life.

Also, if you choose to elect status as a Subchapter S Corporation, you will use IRS Form 2553.

Licenses and Permits

It might surprise you to find out that the U.S. government does not license many types of businesses. However, if your business is overseen by a specific federal agency, there is a good chance that you will need a federal license or permit.

TIP: Some businesses that do need a federal license or permit:

  • public transportation and trucking
  • investment advisors who provide investment advice for a fee
  • alcohol, tobacco and firearms
  • drugs
  • meat products

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.