Green Card Renewal and Replacement

I want to stay in the United States. How do I renew my green card?

If you want to renew your green card, you must submit Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, up to 6 months before the expiration date on your green card. You can download the form from the USCIS Web site. Or you can have one mailed to you by calling the toll-free USCIS forms request line at 800.870.3676.

You may be eligible to file Form I-90 online. Access the USCIS Web site to find out if you are eligible to do so. If not, call the National Customer Service Center at 800.375.5283 for a list of locations accepting I-90 renewal applications in your area. If your paperwork is in order, your current card will be returned to you along with authorization to use it as temporary evidence of your permanent resident status. USCIS will process your renewal application and mail you a new green card valid for another 10 years.

How do I replace a lost green card?

If you lose your green card, you may apply for a replacement card by filing an INS Form I-90 at your local district or suboffice. You may qualify to file the application online. To find out, access the USCIS Web site.

Who must replace their existing green card?

You must replace your green card for the following reasons:

  • Your green card was lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed.
  • Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday.
  • You were a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States.
  • You were a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status.
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status.
  • You have a previous version of the alien registration card and must replace it with the current permanent resident card (Form I-551).
  • Your card contains incorrect information.
  • Your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card.
  • You never received the previous card that was issued to you by the USCIS.

I am a green card holder and lost my green card while traveling in my home country. What should I do?

If you lose your green card outside of the United States, contact the nearest American Consulate, USCIS office or port-of-entry before attempting to file Form I-90.

My daughter was issued her green card when she was 10 years old. She is now 14 years old. Does she have to replace this green card?

Your daughter must replace her green card because the card was issued to her before she was 14 and has now reached her 14th birthday.

How do I prove my green card status while my application for a replacement card is pending?

When you are completing the necessary fingerprint and signature requirements for Form I-90, you can request temporary evidence of your permanent resident status, valid for travel and employment purposes.

I moved to another city. How do I contact the USCIS to notify them of my change of address?

You must mail a USCIS Form AR-11 to the following address:

Department of Justice

Department of Citizenship and Immigration Services

Change of Address

P.O. Box 7134

London, KY 40742-7031

If you fail to notify the USCIS of your change of address, you may be subject to removal.

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.