Immigrants and U.S. Taxes

I am a permanent resident (green card holder). Do I have to pay U.S. taxes?

If you have a green card, you are a U.S. tax resident and must declare your income to the U.S. government, even if you remain outside the country for an entire year. As a green card holder, you must file U.S. tax return Form 1040 each year by April 15. Failure to follow U.S. tax laws may be considered a crime. If you are found guilty of a tax crime, your green card can be revoked and you may be deported. To find out more, visit the IRS Web site.

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our cookie notice.